Instagram @mrwisley

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I sin. Do you?

1 John 1:8 - "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

The obvious application is in the recognition of our own sin. The idea that God knows anyway, and I'm better off if I simply acknowledge my sin so that I'm in the same place as God so he can work with me more easily.
But what's resonating for me with this verse right now is the idea of transparency and vulnerability. And thinking about it in the workplace environment from the point of view that we all mess up. ALL OF US. And people that can admit this are attractive to me. People that cannot admit their mistakes really get under my skin.
Just own up to it. It has often been said that Americans are a forgiving people (think Bill Clinton). If you just admit that you screwed up, we can all work on a resolution together! But if you dig in your heels and refuse to acknowledge you've made a mistake, you're just making the situation worse. Now...if you do this ALL THE TIME? You're building an army of people who can't trust you.
Now...as I'm typing this, I think it's obvious that I'm thinking about one person in particular. And I am. But I'm also feeling convicted that this must be me, too (even though I claim transparency as one of my personal strengths). But there's the old adage, "If you spot it, you've got it." I wonder what it is about this behavior irritating me so much...what does it reveal about me? I'll have to chew on that for a bit...

No comments: