Instagram @mrwisley

Sunday, April 10, 2016

#ScriptureSunday Micah 6:8

micah68

So, after today...I'll generally be choosing a verse that spoke to me in my quiet time at some point during the week. But for my first #ScriptureSunday, I want to share one of my favorites.

In general, I'll try to avoid typing a sermon...I'll try to limit it to some quick thoughts and leave it at that. And even today, I'm going to TRY to not go too long.

No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good,
   and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
   and to walk humbly with your God.

My main thought is this: that's impossible. At least, in myself, that is not possible. I don't do what is right (nor act justly). I don't love mercy (I mean, I love it when applied toward me, but not so much for others). And I don't walk humbly. And not with God, either. Of course, I have my good moments. I'm not beating myself up here, just acknowledging that these words don't sound like good news to me.

But I don't think we're supposed to try to do all these things in our own power. I've been on this spinning orb long enough to know myself. And I'm still getting to know God, but what I have learned is that He knows I cannot live up to His standard. That's exactly why he sent His son. That's why Jesus died for us. Not so that I can now earn my salvation (as I believe I was taught), but precisely because we are not good enough.

So I have to admit that the genesis of this post is rooted in a little bit of contempt for my Christianese-speaking brethren who quote this verse like it's their motto for how they live, or something. And I'll grant you that this admission probably reveals some work I need to do on myself. But when I read Micah 6:8, I'm reminded of an old Out of the Grey song (they were my jam in my early Christianity) called "The Weight of the Words." I'm not sure I'm going to be putting it back in my playlist (it's a bit dated), but I'm going to pop this here for you...maybe the lyrics will mean something to you:

The Weight of the Words - Out of the Grey

Thanks be to God for his great gift.

No comments: