Instagram @mrwisley

Sunday, May 08, 2016

God is Perfect, I am Not (Guest Blogger: Captain Obvious)


The bible study I'm working through right now is having us work through the idea of what it means that God is perfect.

"...God is light, and in him is no darkness at all." - 1 John 1:5

"...his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he." - Deuteronomy 32:4

The realization that hit me as I thought about is is that I cannot even fathom what that means. I am a flawed creature, shadow and light. I have good moments, but I also have bad ones...hidden ones. Like any human being, I can recount to you the evil thoughts that I've entertained; things that nobody even knows about. Not to mention all the bad things about me that are apparent from the outside: my gluttony, my penchant for procrastination, my biting sarcasm/criticism.

What might it look like to be a perfect being? What would God's thought life be like? (I know, higher than mine.) What the study got me thinking was that maybe I need to spend more time contemplating this. If I truly understood God to be perfect (HOLY), would my behavior change? Would my fear of the LORD increase? Would I try harder to not drag His name in the mud by association with mine?

God, help me to understand your holiness and respond appropriately. Thank you for all the good things you've given me to experience.

No comments: