Instagram @mrwisley

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Results Now



If you hold a position of leadership or influence in schools and haven't read any of Mike Schmoker's materials, I urge you...remedy that!

Results Now was first book I read in my admin credential program. It changed my life.

I entered the admin program for money. I wasn't making it on a teacher's salary, and the only way to increase my income was to become an administrator. So I joined the Dark Side. My mom cried (literally). I didn't think I had what it took. I doubted myself. I knew I needed to do this to make ends meet for my family, but all I had ever considered was the kingdom that was my Spanish classroom.

But in my first class, under the guidance of Sweetwater Union superintendent Frankie Escobedo, I read Results Now. It opened my eyes. His clarion call to close the achievement gap resonated deeply with me. His candid description of the structural impediments to student learning were obvious to me, but something that I had never voiced to anyone else. I was surprised and elated to find that someone was willing to be so transparent about what was wrong with education.

How unions, which had served such an important role in the history of education, were now hindering student achievement with a laser focus on what was best for teachers (instead of students). But he delineated four agreements that administrators should make with teachers that could open lines of communication and enable everyone at a school to work for what was best for kids without fear of reprisal or admonition from an misguided administration.

I can't explain it without quoting the entire book. So I urge you to find it and read it. If you ask me directly, I will buy you a copy. I believe in its message this strongly.

But let's look at the quotation for today's #WednesdayWisdom post: "Collaboration allows teachers to capture each other's fund of collective intelligence." Mr. Coleman (my principal) is always saying, "Together, we're smarter than a super computer!" It's just so true. Teachers for generations were timid to share their ideas. To open their classrooms to their colleagues (not to mention their coaches or their administrators). And there were structures in place that made that fear warranted! But if we make the agreements that Schmoker recommends, the open culture can lead to a more equitable implementation of practices THAT ARE BEST FOR KIDS.

In any event...if you've read Schmoker, just give me an Amen. If you haven't, get your hands on some now!

No comments: