Instagram @mrwisley

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Stop picking at it!

I have a wound. I'm not sure what it is, really. It's on the back of my head, in my hair. It might be a pimple. It might be an ingrown hair follicle. It might be (and this is probably psycho-somatic from watching too many Dr. Pimple Popper videos) a cyst. I don't really know.

What I DO know is that I find it irresistible to pick at. Not for any sense of satisfaction, unfortunately, but just impossible for me to leave alone. And I know that makes it worse. And I know I look horrible picking at my head in meetings, and getting blood on my fingers (and in my hair). My wife tells me to stop it. My colleagues tell me to stop it. I desperately want to stop. BUT I CAN'T.

And I have no idea why I chose to share this gross story as the lead-in for my surprise deep reading of the day.




I follow life coach Brett Blair on Twitter, and he's one of those guys who posts 10-15 links a day, and they're usually pretty good, but a bit much to take. For some reason I clicked on this tweet above, and it took me to a site called Little Buddha. Now, I'm enlightened enough to know that I can find truth from multiple sources. Some of my Christian friends might be confused by me sharing this post as my #ScriptureSunday post. And I'll admit, it's a stretch. But...my former pastor (and friend) Matt Hammett said it all the time: "All truth is God's truth." And I'm sure he quoted his source for that thought (R.C. Sproul, Aquinas, Augustine...God?). In any event, while I'm offput by a little Buddha, I found the truth in the post to be SO. SPOT. ON. Stuff that I'm going to have to re-read and chew on! Here's the link:

Why We Don’t Need to Try So Hard to Be Better - By Meredith Walters

Here are the main points:

1. The insight, answers, and wisdom we need are always within us and emerge in their own time.

2. When we miss a lesson, we’ll get new opportunities to learn it until we get it.

3. Our pain won’t let us stay off course for long.

All this striving and comparing is the mud that gums up the works of my self-healing process. That’s why it sometimes takes so long to work: I get in the way.

But if I can impose on your time (I mean, you came all the way here...keep going!)...click the link. Read the whole article. Then give yourself a break. RELAX.

No comments: