Instagram @mrwisley

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sharpen the Axe


I love this idea, but I know that I've got a LOT of room for growth with this. I find that I'm often trying to hack down a tree and sharpening my axe at the same time. Obviously, this doesn't work too well.

I think my people-pleasing tendencies contribute to my difficulty in putting this principle in play in  my own life. The panel of critics in my head tells me that people want action now. That they won't understand the axe-sharpening...so I need to "act" to appease them. What results is ineffective, frustrating, blustery effort. Were I to spend more time in preparation for the eventual action, I would be more efficient, more successful, and a lot less tired.

Now...I'm not killing myself on this. In fact, the very act of writing this blog is an axe-sharpening event. So is my time spent on Twitter. So is my book reading. So, often, are the conversations I have with colleagues and mentors as I seek to anticipate the best courses of action at work and in life.

Please also note that Mr. Lincoln has left two hours for intense work, too. This is not a get-out-of-work card. Preparation without action is dead. (Biblical echo intended.)

Steven Covey also listed this as the 7th of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Here are some links about his version of the idea.

https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits-habit7.php

No comments: